[muglo] Re: Computer Shutdown

  • From: Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 20:04:25 -0500

> "Not likely" to the Virtual PC (which version?) being the cause of the
> kernel panic _directly_ (i.e. through sloppy coding). Indirectly, VPC
> could certainly be a reason because what it does is put your RAM
> through a good workout. If your RAM is defective this could easily
> cause a kernel panic.

What VPC also does is stress your CPU -- this is possible, but I
suspect there's a different resolution to your problem.

You mention that you were searching (twice IIRC) on UWO's library and
once on LPL's website. Again, IIRC (if I recall correctly) LPL uses
Java for its search engine. UWO, I thought, used normal HTML (that may
have changed since I was in London).

Java isn't exactly the most stable of environments on Mac OS X (unfortunately).

HOWEVER, I also see you're running Virex and Internet Cleaner. From
what I can tell Internet Cleaner doesn't do much of anything --
spyware doesn't exist for Mac OS and pretty much everything else web
browsers already do anyway (blocking pop ups, deleting caches). The
only thing that it does that *might* be of use to you (on OS X 10.2)
if you work with highly confidential materials (e.g. medical records)
is to "secure" delete files.

I surmise that your problems are somewhat related to your use of
Netscape and/or the internet. I don't know much about Virex & how it
operates on OS X so I can't guess there. Internet Cleaner seems like
it would install a "proxy server" on your computer to filter
ads/popups -- this isn't a great idea. Alternately, if it doesn't use
a proxy server, their solution has to be _even worse_ which means that
your computer would be left even more unstable.

Assuming you connect via 56K modem to the internet... there's the
possibility that the modem itself is the cause of problems or software
related to the modem. In early versions of 10.2 (fixed in 10.2.5 for
me, broken again in 10.2.8 IIRC) I had kernel panics related to
dial-up internet.

So, I guess you've a few possible sources for your kernel panics:
1. Java
2. Netscape
3. Internet Cleaner
4. Modem internet connectivity (if using modem to connect)
5. Virex (not likely I think)
6. Faulty RAM (would be especially pronounced when lots of apps are
open, especially VPC)
7. Faulty CPU (would be pronounced in warm weather or heavy CPU loads
(again VPC))

I suspect that it's related to 1-3, with 4 a close second, 5 & 6 third
and 7 last.

Good luck.

Eric.