[muglo] Computer Shutdown

  • From: Bob McDaniel <mcdaniel@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 13:27:34 -0500

Hi all

For the third time in the last couple of days my eMac (Mac OS 10.2.8)
has suddenly shut down. Twice it happened when entering search info at
the UWO library site, and just a few minutes ago when similarly
accessing the London Public Library catalogue.

The screen suddenly will darken and up pops a message box in several
languages stating that I will have to restart the computer. At that
point everything is frozen. So I press the power button and turn off the
computer, and in a few seconds press it again. The computer reboots
surprisingly quickly (almost as though it were just asleep!).

A couple of other odd things: I noticed after the first time that all my
Netscape bookmarks were gone, (though not the last time when the few
recently added are still there) and the folder for Aladdin's Internet
Cleanup 2.0, only recently installed, is open on the desktop. It was not
open when the system crashed.

Of course, I think Virus! So I've run Virex 7.2, but as usual nothing is
found.

Any idea on what may be going on here?  I do run VirtualPC on my
computer; any chance of a virus coming in via that route?

Thanks,  Bob

http://publish.uwo.ca/~mcdaniel/