[muglo] Re: Computer Shutdown

  • From: Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:23:34 -0500

On 4-Mar-05, at 1:27 PM, Bob McDaniel wrote:

> Hi all
>
> For the third time in the last couple of days my eMac (Mac OS 10.2.8)
> has suddenly shut down. Twice it happened when entering search info at
> the UWO library site, and just a few minutes ago when similarly
> accessing the London Public Library catalogue.
>
> The screen suddenly will darken and up pops a message box in several
> languages stating that I will have to restart the computer. At that
> point everything is frozen. So I press the power button and turn off
> the
> computer, and in a few seconds press it again. The computer reboots
> surprisingly quickly (almost as though it were just asleep!).

When this has happened to my Laptop it was related to bad memory (both
times) & replacement with new Ram solved the problem.

> A couple of other odd things: I noticed after the first time that all
> my
> Netscape bookmarks were gone, (though not the last time when the few
> recently added are still there) and the folder for Aladdin's Internet
> Cleanup 2.0, only recently installed, is open on the desktop. It was
> not
> open when the system crashed.

This too with Netscape, I always kept a Bookmark folder on the desktop
to solve that one, but don't use Netscape anymore, just Safari & never
a prob.

> Of course, I think Virus! So I've run Virex 7.2, but as usual nothing
> is
> found.
>
> Any idea on what may be going on here?  I do run VirtualPC on my
> computer; any chance of a virus coming in via that route?
>
> Thanks,  Bob

The plain answer is Yes, but the effect will probably be minimal.
TTFN,
TeeC