[muglo] Re: Computer Shutdown

  • From: Bob McDaniel <mcdaniel@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 22:05:34 -0500

Thanks for your very detailed response,  Eric; I'll try to answer your
questions.

Bob

> Questions for you:
>
>1. What application(s) are open when you experience kernel panics?
>Netscape? VPC? They are both heavy users of RAM. The former is full of
>sloppy coding (on the Mac). The latter is an example of one of the
>most stable apps ever written (MS Windows often is more stable *under*
>VPC than running on actual i86 hardware).

Netscape and VPC were both open.

2. How much RAM do you have? Have you added any chips above and beyond
what Apple provided?

I had 512 MB RAM installed before I picked the eMac.

>3. Have you added any new hardware? Do you use any USB or FireWire devices?

Have an Epson C64 printer (USB) attached. Occasionly link a Sony digital
camcorder via Firewire.

>4. Have you added any "utilities" to your system? Does Virex run any
>special programs all the time (this is why I don't trust Virex or
>Norton AntiVirus for OS X -- they destabilse computers _without_
>adding ANYTHING to the security of the computer)?

I use Virex only occasionally; otherwise as far as I can tell, it is
off. While I recently installed Internet Cleaner 2.0 I have not yet used
it - at this point not really sure what it does (I'm probably a prime
candidate for what fate meted out to the curious cat!)

5. Is this still the same install of Mac OS X as when you bought the
computer?

The eMac came with OS 10.2.4. I upgraded to 10.2.6 then 10.2.8  IIRC by
downloading from Apple.

http://publish.uwo.ca/~mcdaniel/