[muglo] Re: Computer Shutdown

  • From: Mary <iMary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 17:00:41 -0500

At 4:07 PM -0500 3/4/05, Paul Thomas wrote:

>Very interested as I get periodical freezes and would like to try this
>also.  Unfortunately I cannot find these repair programs on the OS X
>3.1 discs?  Anyone else know where to find them? I also tried a search
>on the HD.

To check/repair your primary start-up disk, insert your OS X Install Disk 1.
Then, either choose it as your start-up disk in the Preference area,
or hold down the C key while starting/restarting, so that it becomes
your start-up disk.

Wait for Installer to appear. Go to the Installer menu and choose
Disk Utility. Select the volume you wish to check/repair/ in the
left-hand pane. From the right-hand side, choose the First Aid tab.
Then choose Repair Disk.
Your result should indicate that the disk "appears to be OK". If it
doesn't, let us know.

It is not a good idea to repair permissions from your OS X Install
Disk. Instead, do it using the Disk Utility application that is on
your start-up drive. Find it in Applications/Utilities. Run "Repair
Permissions" from there.

  Mary