[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 19:27:46 +0100

Tuesday, May 24, 2005, 7:11:24 PM, Paul Stone wrote:

>>The really interesting statistic is, our medical accident rate is
>>exactly the same as yours.   (I was amazed!, I thought yours would be
>>smaller.)
>>
>>But here, even fewer cases make it to the courts, because it's almost
>>impossible to implement no win/no fee here.)

PS> Still more interesting [possibly] is that when I went to see a lawyer a=
bout
PS> possibly suing the doctors for jerking me around -- we don't have=20
PS> contingency fees here for lawyers --

they're fairly new here; I think the running down of Legal Aid brought
them in.  BTW the contingency fee problem here is this: no win/no fee
and pro bono lawyers will waive their fees but court costs, levied by
the govt, remain.

PS>  they told me that I could almost
PS> definitely win the case, but I would have to pony up $35,000 for him to
PS> even think about starting work on the case.

I know the problem from here (detailed stuff cut), it isn't quite so
bad here but the same kind of thing can happen.

-- I understand: I gave up on a clinical negligence case re my
mother's mal-treatment; my legal expenses insurance policy didn't
cover her.

PS>  Methinks our drs and lawyers
PS> are in cahoots. Needless to say, I didn't sue. If only I would have bee=
n in
PS> a low-income group, I could have gotten free legal advice, nah, probably
PS> not for medical malpractice.

Anyone here can get free legal advice; and if they're
low-income, can get more, yes.  I don't know what it's like there, but
here, the threshold to qualify for legal aid is very low now (it may
have been reasonable once), if you have more than =A314000 a year,
forget it!  (Hence my legal expenses insurance policy.)

I'm surprised you don't have any contingency-fee type arrangements
there.

PS> thinking that life is just not fair, but reasonably happy anyway -- tod=
ay!

I'm thinking life isn't fair *and it is raining here again*!

Judy

--=20

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx