[lit-ideas] Re: Immigration

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 14:45:13 -0800

Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

It says the IRS issues them with special numbers>

It's true. The IRS does issue special numbers to illegal immigrants, and some do pay taxes using them. So I was wrong the other day when I said that there was no way one could pay taxes without a Social Security number. (These numbers cannot be used in lieu of an SSN though.)

Interesting, in these times, that the IRS does not share information about who pays taxes using these special numbers with any other government agency, including the Department of Homeland Security.

Here's a story from the San Diego Union-Tribune.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040415/news_1n15taxes.html

My mistake, it seems, was to have searched for an answer to this question on Government websites!

Robert Paul
Reed College