[geocentrism] Re: Moon phases

  • From: "Philip" <joyphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:25:53 +1000

within brackets{}  Gary..
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Gary Shelton
  To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 4:47 PM
  Subject: [geocentrism] Re: Moon phases

  Philip,
  I must say, you lost me on this one.  The word "also", for one, is not
present in verse 4 so how can we compare the use of it in verse 5 to that of
verse 4?  So I do not understand at all how this could be any kind of opening
for the heliocentrist reader.  Can you elucidate a bit more, please?

  [ certainly ..One could say I am going to town. Also I will go from there to
the seaside. Here also pertains to the first sentence, only in that it
signifies a continuation.

  Whereas  Tom gets up at 6am. I also rise at 6am. Here the second sentence is
saying "likewise" pertaining to the first..

  If the second sentence said, Also I lntend to meet him after that. , It is a
continuation, not  likewise...

  Now notice this verse says, 5The sun also ariseth,.... not,  also the sun
ariseth.  . Saying the sun also rises , is saying something has just risen as
well. And verse 4 does say just that, except not in the sense of something
ascending... as is what the sun does. He got up at 6 am, I also.   Get it?
  Verse 4.

  One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: or,
  One generation falls and another generation rises.

  5The sun also ariseth

  The rising sunrise  is made synonymous with the "symbolic rising" of a
generation, which is a coming into existence not a physical ascendency.  ]

  I can think of a couple of more important points that could be brought to
bear on these verses.  The first I would bring up is the Douay Rheim's use of
the word "returneth" as opposed to the KJV's "hasteth".  I personally have
always had a problem with "hasteth".  Does it mean that the sun slows down
during our day and then speeds up during our night?  Wouldn't that mean China,
or India, or Africa would have a different length of day than us?  So I think
the use of "returneth" might just make more sense to me here.

  [ I don't see that a problem. Its old English.. "Hasten now" was a common
instruction, meaning don't dawdle. Were they thinking in terms of a globe? They
might have said the sun hasteth towards the sunset as well. There was no
comparative intent to the verse. ]

  The second thing I would bring up are the differences in the translations of
verse 6 just following.  The KJV talks of the wind, what does the DR ascribes
the action of the verse to?  I've heard quite different takes on this verse.
What do the other versions you have say?

  [ reading the DR there is a commer after verse 5 and I just took it to still
be referring to the sun in verser 5, which does do the circuits to the north
and to the south for the seasons... I do not know why the wind was brought into
it. ]

  Here is my modern printing of the KJV for Ecclesiastes 1:6

  "The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it
whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his
circuits."

  Sincerely,

  Gary Shelton

  look for the comma, after verse 5..  ..I might seek a latinist for the
vulgates word on it..  Philip.]
  [you wrote:]

  <snip>

  4One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth
  abideth for ever.
  5The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteneth to his place
where
  he arose.

   That word "also" .. See how if applied to verse 5, in the same manner as
verse
  4, then they can say that the bible is speaking with the meaning given to
  "riseth" as when a generation dies and another comes, "into being" .. This is
  subtle way to attack the geocentric claim.

  Because the 1899 DR bible says,

  4One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth
  standeth for ever. 5The sun riseth, and goeth down, and returneth to his
place:
  and there rising again

  There is no "also "

  GaryLShelton@xxxxxxxxxxx