[geocentrism] Re: Moon phases

  • From: "Gary Shelton" <garylshelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:47:55 -0600

Philip,
I must say, you lost me on this one.  The word "also", for one, is not present
in verse 4 so how can we compare the use of it in verse 5 to that of verse 4?
So I do not understand at all how this could be any kind of opening for the
heliocentrist reader.  Can you elucidate a bit more, please?

I can think of a couple of more important points that could be brought to bear
on these verses.  The first I would bring up is the Douay Rheim's use of the
word "returneth" as opposed to the KJV's "hasteth".  I personally have always
had a problem with "hasteth".  Does it mean that the sun slows down during our
day and then speeds up during our night?  Wouldn't that mean China, or India,
or Africa would have a different length of day than us?  So I think the use of
"returneth" might just make more sense to me here.

The second thing I would bring up are the differences in the translations of
verse 6 just following.  The KJV talks of the wind, what does the DR ascribes
the action of the verse to?  I've heard quite different takes on this verse.
What do the other versions you have say?

Here is my modern printing of the KJV for Ecclesiastes 1:6

"The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth
about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits."

Sincerely,

Gary Shelton

[you wrote:]

<snip>

4One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh; but the earth
abideth for ever.
5The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteneth to his place where
he arose.

 That word "also" .. See how if applied to verse 5, in the same manner as verse
4, then they can say that the bible is speaking with the meaning given to
"riseth" as when a generation dies and another comes, "into being" .. This is a
subtle way to attack the geocentric claim.

Because the 1899 DR bible says,

4One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth
standeth for ever. 5The sun riseth, and goeth down, and returneth to his place:
and there rising again

There is no "also "

GaryLShelton@xxxxxxxxxxx

-- Type: text/plain