[arachne] illegal attachments?

  • From: "Samuel W. Heywood" <sheywood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:47:23 -0500

Hello:

Today I tried to email to my son an attachment being a perfectly
harmless and very useful DOS batch file.  The mailer daemon at
my ISP bounced the email for reason that it contained an "illegal
attachment".

I fooled the mailer daemon simply by sending the same message and
the same "illegal attachment" after changing the attachment's file
extension from ".bat" to ".plop".  The message and its attachment
were sent successfully to the destination email address after I had
renamed the bat file to a plop file.

BTW. I have discovered also that my ISP's mailer daemon will also
bounce emails having attachments with ".com" and ".exe" extensions.

In order to email those files I just change the extension names of
the attachments to some that are not commonly associated with files
having executable code.  Then the attachments will sail right past
the stupid mailer deamon with no problem.

I wonder if a lot of other folks are experiencing nowadays with
their respective ISP's the same kind of annoying problems caused by
the stupid mailer daemons.

Sam Heywood