[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hassan@xxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:07:28 -0800

Hassan, have a look at the current IBIS Summit presentations.  Here, we can
see example differences between the current 4.1 standard and SPICE models
that have led to the BIRD95 and BIRD97 proposals.  I for one would say
those example differences are quite substantial.  BIRD95 adds the
substantial contribution of the predriver current ( which is shown to
actually exceed the PU current for some cases assuming it is powered from
Vddq ), but does not account for voltage variations caused by other outputs
coupled through the same interconnect.  BIRD97 deals with that, by feeding
the Vddq voltage back into the predriver transfer function.  IBIS3.2
doesn't do any of this.

So, how faithful can IBIS3.2 be to any large parallel bus even at
comparatively low speeds when it does not faithfully represent the I/O
driver current in the presence of SSO?  And I think that there we can find
at least a qualitative answer to your question rephrased as "What are the
boundaries to which IBIS3.2 is useful?"  These two BIRDs effectively
state:  "Only to the point that either predriver current and dynamic Vddq
do not substantively alter the transfer function."  ( And not to miss
Chris' points: this presumes the topology that BIRD95, and BIRD97 address. )

Regards,

Steve.

The weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx e-mail address will terminate March 31, 2005.
Please update your address book with weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx