[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:24:59 -0800

Ray,
That's a good point.

Once again, I am a true n00b on FPGA's so please tell me how a typical SSO
analysis a vendor provide to the customer then ?

Is is an IBIS package model combine with SPICE model of the driver receiver
?
Or is it just a set of IBIS package with IBIS I/O model and some "best
wishes, I think it will work" ?

I keep hearing in the recent threads about SSO noise in FPGA packages but I
have yet to hear customers of FPGA came out and say "we've done the SSO
analysis, this package will work" or "we've done the SSO analysis, this
package will not work and we avoided a disater".

Can someone share with me how exactly a customer of FPGA is expected to do
SSO analysis ?

If you tell me you don't since "I've done it for ten years and it worked so
it will work in the future". That's fine with me too.

But it will not be fair to say, "my vendor screw me and I have a noisy SSO
package" but yet you have done nothing to simulate the noise ahead of time.

I have to admit I am an ASIC kinda guy with my own I/O and package design.
Lately I am feeling the heat to look into more generic solutions like FPGA
so I am personally curious about how people really do it.