[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements

  • From: Chris Cheng <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'SI List'" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 17:13:19 -0800

You can say what you want with IBIS, at the end of the day (today, not
tomorrow or some future spec), can you do an SSO analysis based on a pure
IBIS model ?

I am a complete N00b on FPGA so I am curious how many people really do SSO
analysis with just a standard IBIS description of a chip. I can't, so please
tell me how you did it.

Those who know me and my previous life somewhere should remember some of
those reference SPICE SSO models I generated, there is only a small number
of SPICE drivers, interconnect and receivers set that need to be included to
accurately model SSO, x-talk, package/interconnect loss. Remember, m=x is a
very powerful macro that doesn't even need to be an integer.

Another interesting side note, some of the so call speedy "IBIS engines" end
up barely faster or even slower in some cases when the same interconnect
complexity is added to get the accuracy close to acceptable level.

All of the above SSO modelling methodolgies are well documented and
correlated with actual characterization numbers. I am not talking about
vaporware analysis here.