[SI-LIST] Re: package SSN model accuracy requirements

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mirmak, Michael" <michael.mirmak@xxxxxxxxx>, <gary_pratt@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Chris.Cheng@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:56:06 -0800

Michael, you are very welcome.  I just don't know any easy way to get past
this chicken and egg problem.  Widespread Si vendor support tends to want
to wait for OEM customer pull.  OEM customers won't pull without Si vendor
support, and tools in-place.  Consequently, OEM customers hesitate to
purchase tools for specific capability that doesn't get used.  And tool
vendors sure don't have a monetary incentive to give away new capability
for free.  It seems this places us at something of an impasse.

Just brainstorming a little bit, what it might take is for the tool vendors
to essentially provide both tools and support to the Si industry gratis so
that the libraries get built.  With libraries in place that can be
demonstrated provide value, OEMs would be far more inclined to purchase the
tools to use AMS.  Maybe if the industry could convince the US DoD that AMS
is necessary for advanced military H/W, we could plow some gov't dollars
into this effort to prime the pump.  If funds were provided to Si vendors
with the specific requirement that silicon has to be delivered with AMS
models that match SPICE accuracy, we might get somewhere.

Regards,

Steve.

The weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx e-mail address will terminate March 31, 2005.
Please update your address book with weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx