[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NEW STUD DOGS to CT

  • From: Santanagsd1954@xxxxxx
  • To: hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx, campaigners@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:35:44 EST

Hi..I respect your opinion...and am not basing my statements on hearsay.
Early on in dogs.Steve and I both. started with import lines.Long before I
knew Steve..he did schutzhund and obedience..I,too spent a large sum of
money at that time on a puppy sired by a well-bred west German dog..out of
a bitch that was a well bred German bitch...I gave her away because of poor
temperament...when the owners had to crawl into the dog house to get the
dam..I should have know their were problems. I also had a half
German/amercian dog, that I tried to incorporate into my breeding
program..he produced some good obedience dogs..but nothing to show..no
matter who he was bred to....so I have already been this route.....when
breeding..I did not get the best of both worlds..genes don't evenly
distribute in that manner...some had American traits..some had German..and
some were just a mish mosh..bottom line...never got anything that I would
consider showable.I am not anti- using import lines...I just think it
should be done so in a judicious manner..only using the best American
bitches..with the best temperaments..bred to and equal import dog..keep
only the  progeny that express the desired improvements.if there are
none..then you keep none. the fact that we can experiment in the fashion
that we do is testimonial to the cultural difference between the Germans
and Americans.C.Grainger

  I respect your opinion too, Christine..  The Boys from Berlin and the Girls
from Germany  are not perfect and it is quite a challenge breeding them , as
it is American Breds. We have all seen the problems on both sides. It takes a
long time learning those German lines and pedigrees and putting them together
wisely, as it does the American breds.
Because one has a bad experience with either German or American and does well
with one or the other, is not a reason to assume All German imports are bad
or All American breds are bad.
There is that middle ground.
Some of us are just trying to bring in characteristics we particularly admire
in the Germ,an Shepherd with outcrossing, and others are doing something
else..
 There probably is not one right or wrong way.
.It is just that , I believe, we should all respect each other's efforts as
long as we are all trying to improve the Breed, in our own fashion.barb williams