[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Inbreeding - A tool to test the health of your line

  • From: Kathy Tank <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 11:44:16 -0700

This is not an email for the experienced on this list, but rather for those
that are new or uncertain about their direction and how to get there.
First GET A BREEDING PLAN,  VISUALIZE WHAT YOU WANT NOW, AND TEN YEARS FROM
NOW, if it is exactly what you want
how to get there?  Start with the BEST bitch you can afford.  Think about
what you want in phenotype, set a "perfect dog from my kennel" image in your
mind.

Think of it as your living "Business Plan"" or "Mission Statement"

If you are already starting a program, and are drowning in mediocrity or
have deviated from your "perfect dog" image then:

I think that you have to look first at your phenotype,
"What needs improving here, that I am not already getting in my breeding
program?"
"What dog phenotypically might help/ detract from my goal?"    Go to as many
shows, trials, breeders, to find the dogs that 'grab" you. Look at pics
/videos.
"Who is behind him or her?    Look beyond parents, as many generations back
as you can, noting redundancy.
"How has this dog been as a consistent producer of his / her type in
litters, and how do this animals sibs and 1/2 sibs look?"  Has this dog had
breeding to
different animals and still produces or sires consistantly OR am I seeing
repeats of the same breedings over and over?

"Are there repeated desirable or undesirable qualities in the line , that I
can use, or cannot use"
"Are there undesirable qualities that my ownl breeding animal may overcome,
bred to another"  "What is a deal breaker for me?"
"WHAT IS THE BEST MATCH FOR MY DOG OR BITCH?"  (This may be the singularly
most overlooked issue in breeding )
"Am I going with what I NEED, or with what is popular at the time?"
What are my goals and definitive plans 2, 5, 10, 15 years down the road?
 (Yes we have a breeding plan that will take us at least 15 to 20 years down
the road)
Am I willing to deviate a bit, from that plan, but sticking to the same
ideal for my plan?  Not wavering because of politics, popularity or my
friend wants me to....
Am I willing to be BRUTAL when looking at dogs, esp MY OWN?  Am I willing to
"clean house" if my direction has gone off course?
How far have I researched the genetics of a given animal? Or, am I just
going on hearsay?

Many issues in anyones program come down to answering thoroughly the
questions above, just to start.
The great thing about linebreeding, close linebreeding, and inbreeding is
most things, good and bad are a known.
You know basically how the genes are going to cross, you know good , bad,
and ugly. Very few surprises.

Whenever you go to an outcross, or lines that are not similar within the
first several generations, you are starting all over.
You have NO idea how those gene pairings may occur.  It may be the answer to
your prayers, or it may be a disaster.
It is a scary thing, and most are willing to do so, once in awhile to
improve issues, moving then back to their own lines, after.

It is like having a  old, high mileage car.  You have had it so long  , you
know all of its major issues and minor quirks.
Buying another, is very exciting, for sure, and is necessary once in awhile,
but you know not what you have, you have to wait, and hope and see.

I like linebreedings, and inbreedings as long as we don't loose breeding
vigor, health, longevity, work ethic,  athleticism, etc....at that point the
search for a suitable outcross begins.
We refresh, and we move ahead.

Just a thought
Kathy Tank

*http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com*<http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com>
PUP-DATED: JULY 20, 2010
*Home of:

CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH. Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle *
*
"Victory...*Vires et honestas"