[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Inbreeding - A tool to test the health of your line

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 15:43:05 -0700

If you are utilizing and inbreeding on lines you know well, and have not had
any health issues with....why
would you be more responsible for "growing  them all out"   than you would with
an outcross litter?
Can you say that only breeding outcrosses or "distant linebreeding"  produces a
litter with no problems??
Would you feel an obligation to raise an entire litter to 2 yrs of age with a
complete outcross??
IF not......WHY not?    Where is the difference??
ANY good Breeder takes full responsibility for their puppies!   There is
absolutely no guarantee that
you will have all healthy sound puppies from an outcross.........not one iota
more than with an inbred or
closely linebred litter as long as you are using animals that have no health
issues!!  No one should
knowingly breed lines with health issues that show up later......let alone
linebreed on them.
FLEE THEM!!    THAT IS THE KEY!
Also....... an outside breeding into my or your 'inbred'  or linebred stud  or
from the bitch STILL does not
guarantee sound healthy puppies to your bitch any more than it would to an
outcross dog..
Wish  that it were that simple    IF it were that simple all the labradoodle
type  'designer crosses' would work!!
<G>
We personally prefer to do some  linebreeding and close linebreeding and
occasionally an inbreeding.....but
lets not kid ourselves nor anyone else......that still does not  guarantee all
sound puppies from one of our
studs or our bitches to an outside OR a linebred line.    It's just another
tool to use wisely.

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

  From: "Jessica MacMillan" <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Inbreeding - A tool to test  the health of your
line

  Here's another question for you Mike  :-)

  How long do you think people should be in a breed before doing an
inbreeding? How many generations
  should they have bred?
  Just because  someone is offering a dog at stud doesn't mean they know enough
to inbreed on  it.

  And yes, we do it too.

  Jessica MacMillan
  No Frills Dog  Bathing Service & Design
  Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
  &  The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
  Member of:  DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC