[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Inbreeding - A tool to test the health of your line

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <segerwind@xxxxxxx>, <pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx>, <lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 10:08:31 -0500

Such a fascinating topic.

A couple of us were having a private conversation and the issue came up of GSD
pedigrees. Looking through the numerous pedigrees in the Reviews, it seems to
me that it is almost impossible to do an outcross these days without going to
an Import dog. Some of those pedigrees are actually TIGHTER and more compact
even than most inbred litters.

It seems to me, in the breed right now, there shouldn't be any focus on
inbreeding, but more on trying to losen pedigrees. Also, with the way the
pedigrees are now, it seems to me that the health issues are all visible,
because so many breedings that are so tight have been done - no reason to
inbreed.

Mike, you talk about old time breeders doing inbreedings. I think that was more
common when people WERE able to keep the number of dogs and grow out litters.
And, at least back in the 60's/70's with GSDs there were still a fair number of
German Imports accessible to breed to and losen pedigrees back up.

And here's another question. In dals, most of our popular stud dogs have lived
to be 12-13 years of age and we accept that as normal. Last year, a 6 year old
dog died - a dog who although not used heavily is probably going to be one of
the most important sires in the breed ever based on his sons and daughters.
Would you freak out to have one dog in a pedigree that died at that age from
kidney failure?

I look at the GSD Reviewed and I see all the popular sires that have died at 5,
6, 7 and I just shake my head (and you want to INBREED on this?)..

Do you accept all of that as normal too (dogs to die at 7)...

Jessica MacMillan
No Frills Dog Bathing Service & Design
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC

From: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: SegerWind@xxxxxxx; Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx; lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx;
spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Inbreeding - A tool to test the health of your line
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 07:58:05 -0700

Not that I know of.

My point is not that you or I or anyone else should  inbreed or linebreed or
outcross.......but that I think
it's a little unfair to insist that a breeder  that does all of the above
should grow a litter out until they are
middle age to prove they are all fine and healthy when they do a close
linebreeding because only
outcrosses are healthy sound litters..............?    If that were the
case.....none of us would ever inbreed
or closely linebreed.
So I have a question for you........
Do you think a breeder that knows more about the lines they are using for a
close breeding is MORE
accountable than a breeder that does numerous outcrosses......?

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com

From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx