[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD numbers in shelters

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: epeningt@xxxxxxxxxx, gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:11:22 -0700 (PDT)

Ellen, to your point; NO, not all the dogs listed are purebred GSD's. I believe
I stated that in my post. However, Petfinder is  currently the only way we have
of tracking the numbers of GSDs in shelters; purebred or otherwise.
I recently polled some of the 98 rescues that LHSH networks with and came up
with some astounding figures for 07.
GSROC pulled more than TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY GSDs in one year. (One year their
number was 300)
GSRCNY has placed 58, with 36 considered "well bred" ....11 of these came with
AKC papers showing breeding history.
Shepherds Hope in NY (a relatively new rescue) has already pulled 31, some in
DIRE need of medical care.
Greater Houston GSD rescue officially opened Jan 1, 2008 and have already
pulled 37, with two more coming in this week!
Dumas German Shepherd Rescue in NJ states they pulled 80 GSD's.
GSRSEPA has pulled 23 and adopted out 21.
One Shep At A Time in Hendersonville NC has rehomed 27 since January of 07 and
she is a one person SMALL rescue.
LHSH has been instrumental in the salvation of more than 170 GSDs since our
inception.
NLGR took in 14 GSDs and states she was unable to save perhaps as many due to
lack of funds/fosters.
TBGSR's figures are at 150 pulled in one year!
These ARE purebred GSDS! There was even FOUR cases we are AWARE of that were
either former show dogs or VERY highly bred dogs finding their way into a kill
facility! Diane Roberts pulled a Dallas daughter who was out of an ROM bitch
out of such a facility in Florida!
These are just SOME of the numbers that are coming in to me and do not
represent the potentially  HUNDREDS of other rescues that are pulling GSDs on a
daily basis who will remain unknown..
If you take the petfinder figures and even cut that in HALF to accommodate the
mixed dogs or dogs of questionable lineage, that number is STILL too high.
MANY all breed rescues are pulling GSDs and there is NO way to determine how
many they have taken. I know that we are presented with ON AVERAGE, between 2
and 4 dogs facing euthanization DAILY. Petfinder is the ONLY means we currently
have at our disposal to FIND these dogs; it is a phenomenal site. Without them,
hundreds more would have faced an uncertain fate.
Rest assured, LHSH has NOT lost focus; nor are we aligned in any way shape or
form with any radical animal rights groups. We are merely trying to track the
numbers of GSDs in the kill facilities Nationally in order to put a "face" on
the plight of the dogs we so love and hopefully somehow stem the tide of
unwanted GSDs.
Thank you.
Dawn Restuccia

Dawn Restuccia, Pres.