[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: GSD numbers in shelters

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 17:00:05 -0400

"Dawn Restuccia" <windwych@xxxxxxxxx> writes:  When I REPEATEDLY sent
letters to the MSPCA (the group that flys the dogs in) regarding the plight
of the dogs in the south, I received no response. I HAVE spoken to ACO's in
Mass...the concern is the health issues that are appearing in the southern
dogs. Screw worm is resurfacing; something that I guess has not been seen in
a long time. Also, there is a particularly NASTY strain of parvo in the
southern shelters.

Sounds like things haven't changed much in the 20 years since I "worked in
the trenches" down South.  Myself, another woman, and a Vet were the sole
animal rescuers for a large, poor county in the South that had no shelter,
no leash laws, no laws against dog fighting

I paid the local kids to capture the strays and bring them to me for
"doctoring."  It was heartbreaking to see these poor creatures up close and
personal.  I don't how many dogs died before I could even get them to the
vet.

Hunters would keep a pack of sometimes 50 or more hunting dogs during
hunting season.  When the season ended, they would release all these dogs to
fend for themselves.  If a dog lived until the next hunting season, it would
be fed and used for that season, then released and the whole cycle would
repeat itself.

Also, a lot of these people living in the South don't have the money to
vaccinate or spay/neuter their dogs.  Communicable diseases such as Parvo
run rampart, so I'm not surprised to hear that a new strain of Parvo has
appeared in the South.  Severe parasitic infections are the norm in strays.
With their immunity weakened by disease and parasites, most dogs I rescued
had pretty awful cases of mange.  I won't even go into the plight of feral
cats...

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Allemande German Shepherd Dogs
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam