[rollei_list] Re: age old "digital vs film" debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:09:33 +0000

On the contrary, Frank, I believe both statements to be true. In all my recent experience digital -is- in all practical ways superior to film. OTOH it is a matter of personal choice so if somebody wants to use film that is fine by me :-)

On 13 Jan, 2009, at 16:46, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Frank, glad to read this much more reasonable and modest statement
about digital's capabilities, and your own personal abilities and
tastes, in contrast to this earlier statement:

In all practical ways digital has exceeded the capability of film for some time. Certainly if there is an effect which one wishes to achieve, using a vintage LF lens for example, film may have to be the choice but that does not make film better, just an appropriate choice in some circumstances.

Eric Goldstein

--

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I quite agree, a matter of personal choice. I get p*ssed off when people say it meeds 67, or choose any other number, megapixels for digital to match film which is patently ridiculous. Which film? what other parameter than
resolution?
I get better dynamic range, a smoother look and plenty of resolution from digital. My prints look more 3 dimensional and real - particularly skin tones. I still like the look of B&W film for portraits, actually, but not
for anything else.
Some photographers prefer film so for them it is better, obviously.
best regards,
Frank

On 13 Jan, 2009, at 13:56, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

But that doesn't mitigate that the other works "better" for others, and no amount of discussion is going to change that. Even if it is as simple as
someone likes to use a particular camera, that's good enough IMO.