[rollei_list] Re: age old "digital vs film" debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: "dnygr" <dnygr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:54:51 GMT

I scan some of my negs, too. Some I print in the darkroom, some with the
computer. It's a mixed bag. I have lots of my photos in my office. I must admit
I prefer the ones from the darkroom.
I enjoy developing film more than I like chimping.
Whether I print an image in the darkroom or Photoshop it, I have the same
reaction: this is work. Film developing is more a labor of love. That may be
because I never develop a great quantity of film at any one time and the total
time spent doing it is much less than developing photos chemically or working
on them in the computer.
Good photos are made. They just don't happen. It takes effort, experience and
above all taste. That is true for both digital and wet darkroom. A bad photo is
a bad photo and it doesn't matter if it was made from film or not. In essence,
although I prefer film, I feel the most important thing is the product you
produce. A good image is a treasure whether it was produced digitally or in the
darkroom.
Doug