[rollei_list] Re: age old digital vs film debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:35:23 +0000

Hi Austin,
For the Motor racing Pros I know who send loads of files back to their magazines it is much cheaper, but more work. One told me he could save the cost of 5 new cameras per year in film costs alone. OTOH it is more work for them. In the old days at the end of practice they were the first to the beach, film stashed in a bag. Now they are straight to the pressroom to download. For an amateur such as myself you are right, though the only extra computer cost was a photo quality printer, the rest I had and would have had, digital photography or no. I do rejoice in the convenience, and the ability to change sensitivity at will and download whenever I like whether I have shot 3 frames or 60.
Frank

On 14 Jan, 2009, at 13:10, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi Gene,

On reflection, there ARE a lot of ways in which digital cameras have
become superior to film cameras.

There are *some*, but I would not say a *lot*...

Convenience and operating cost are 2.

Convenience I agree with to a certain extent. But it is hardly convenient
to manage and archive digital images.

Operating cost I also disagree with as a general statement. For some who shoot a LOT, there is a cost reduction of sorts... But, people tend to not include the initial cost of the camera is typically higher, the cost of the electronics (computer, software, printer, ink, paper, batteries, storage
media), cost of depreciation of the equipment, cost of storing and
archiving.  So, if you add in *all* the real costs, it is by no means
cheaper.

Regards,

Austin