[rollei_list] Re: age old "digital vs film" debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:59:15 -0800

I do shoot digital, but in all honesty, I from my own limited personal
experience, I still greatly prefer film for it's better dynamic range. My
film highlights are much better balanced than my digital ones.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On the contrary, Frank, I believe both statements to be true. In all my
> recent experience digital -is- in all practical ways superior to film. OTOH
> it is a matter of personal choice so if somebody wants to use film that is
> fine by me :-)
>

> On 13 Jan, 2009, at 16:46, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>
> Frank, glad to read this much more reasonable and modest statement
>> about digital's capabilities, and your own personal abilities and
>> tastes, in contrast to this earlier statement:
>>
>> In all practical ways digital has exceeded the capability of film for some
>>> time. Certainly if there is an
>>> effect which one wishes to achieve, using a vintage LF lens for example,
>>> film may have to be the
>>> choice but that does not make film better, just an appropriate choice in
>>> some circumstances.
>>>

>> Eric Goldstein
>>
>> --
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Frank Dernie
>> <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I quite agree, a matter of personal choice. I get p*ssed off when people
>>> say
>>> it meeds 67, or choose any other number, megapixels for digital to match
>>> film which is patently ridiculous. Which film? what other parameter than
>>> resolution?
>>> I get better dynamic range, a smoother look and plenty of resolution from
>>> digital. My prints look more 3 dimensional and real - particularly skin
>>> tones. I still like the look of B&W film for portraits, actually, but not
>>> for anything else.
>>> Some photographers prefer film so for them it is better, obviously.
>>> best regards,
>>> Frank
>>>
>>> On 13 Jan, 2009, at 13:56, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>
>>> But that doesn't mitigate that the other works "better" for others, and
>>>>
>>> ---
>> Rollei List
>>
>> - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'