[rollei_list] Re: age old "digital vs film" debate...again...was RE: OT Ancient Computers

  • From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 14:47:51 -0800

On reflection, there ARE a lot of ways in which digital cameras have become
superior to film cameras.  Convenience and operating cost are 2.  No way I
could provide my local ballet company with 1000 exposures of a performance
on film.  Neither they nor I could afford it.  And the resolution and total
visual information on a good 10-plus Mpixel camera can be very high.  I did
a 40 inch tall poster that looked really nice. I am probably going to buy a
5D Mk2 here pretty soon because it is such a powerful tool for these kinds
of things.  I will not be giving up my film cameras though; and it is not
just because I am so sentimental about the medium.  I really do find the
response curve of digital sensors to be significantly inferior to film as of
my Rebel Xsi or my buddy's 5D.  Not even close really.  The transition to
shadow or highlight is so much smoother and more beautiful on film to my
eye. Everyone who looks at the prints notices it. The 5d MK2 is supposed to
be better.  I will reserve judgement.  In any case, I have no doubt, the gap
will continue to narrow, and one day I WILL be using film because I just
love working with it and my old cameras, enlargers, etc.

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:09 AM, Frank Dernie
<Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On the contrary, Frank, I believe both statements to be true. In all my
> recent experience digital -is- in all practical ways superior to film. OTOH
> it is a matter of personal choice so if somebody wants to use film that is
> fine by me :-)
>

> On 13 Jan, 2009, at 16:46, Eric Goldstein wrote:
>
> Frank, glad to read this much more reasonable and modest statement
>> about digital's capabilities, and your own personal abilities and
>> tastes, in contrast to this earlier statement:
>>
>> In all practical ways digital has exceeded the capability of film for some
>>> time. Certainly if there is an
>>> effect which one wishes to achieve, using a vintage LF lens for example,
>>> film may have to be the
>>> choice but that does not make film better, just an appropriate choice in
>>> some circumstances.
>>>

>> Eric Goldstein
>>
>> --
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Frank Dernie
>> <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I quite agree, a matter of personal choice. I get p*ssed off when people
>>> say
>>> it meeds 67, or choose any other number, megapixels for digital to match
>>> film which is patently ridiculous. Which film? what other parameter than
>>> resolution?
>>> I get better dynamic range, a smoother look and plenty of resolution from
>>> digital. My prints look more 3 dimensional and real - particularly skin
>>> tones. I still like the look of B&W film for portraits, actually, but not
>>> for anything else.
>>> Some photographers prefer film so for them it is better, obviously.
>>> best regards,
>>> Frank
>>>
>>> On 13 Jan, 2009, at 13:56, austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>>
>>> But that doesn't mitigate that the other works "better" for others, and
>>>>
>>> ---
>> Rollei List
>>
>> - Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> - Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'