[rollei_list] Re: ...now analogue versus digital

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:16:53 -0800 (PST)

--- El mar 13-ene-09, Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx> escribió:
> ...I browsed the Rollei archives and saw that you were pleased
> with your Contax repair by E. Smolev.  Would you entrust a
> mint 1961 Contax IIIa and Sonnar 1.5/50  to him for a very
> careful CLA?  Did you check if any screws on your Contax
> were scratched up etc...?

Hi Jan:
        Eddy worked on four main elements: 1)Shutter; 2)Rangefinder; 3)Sonnar
1.5/50; 4) Film transport.

1)Shutter is very smooth and silent, not as quiet as a Rollei Compur but very
good. Slow shutter speeds from 1/50 to B sound a bit similar regarding an
electronic camera shooting and advancing the film but quieter. Shutter speeds
seem accurate, the self-timer works fine from 1/1250 to 1/2 sec.

2)The rangefinder-viewfinder looks very clean, you can distinguish both images
clearly and the two different image colors too, you can focus using the
rangefinder wheel or rotating the lens barrel. When the images coincide, colors
become one and stronger. The Contax II has the right window very close to the
right side and you need a bit of practice to avoid to cover the window with
your finger ( I could see the IIa has this window closer to the lens, but it
also has a shorter rangefinder baseline).

3)The lens looks like new, the front element was polished slightly. I can't
talk about results yet because I have the first film in the camera. I regret I
still don't have a lens hood for the lens.

4)Film transport works fine, it has like an intermediate stop that confused me
initially.

Eddy did an excellent work IMO, it was not necessary to replace parts in my
camera, he only replaced the top cover due to the original was bent slightly.
BTW, I couldn't say my camera looks like new, it maintains a scratch close to
the word "Contax" and it still has the original leather cover in very good
condition but it does not look like new. Except for that scratch, metal
external parts look very nice and clean. There are no scratches caused by Eddy.
Eddy price was very reasonable really and I had my camera at home after 30 days
including holidays and 20,000km.-

Carlos

      Yahoo! Cocina
Recetas prácticas y comida saludable