[rollei_list] Re: ...now analogue versus digital

  • From: Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:42:09 -0500

Hi Carlos,

I fully agree! And because of those sentiments I am back on this list after my December trip to Guinea and Germany.

I browsed the Rollei archives and saw that you were pleased with your Contax repair by E. Smolev. Would you entrust a mint 1961 Contax IIIa and Sonnar 1.5/50 to him for a very careful CLA? Did you check if any screws on your Contax were scratched up etc.?

I kinid of like the old fashioned cropping of film ends for the older Leica and Contax cameras. It reminds you that you can't rely on any automation and that you have to do everything very deliberately just as with your Rolleis. BTW the spring assisted "film grabbing" spool on my M6 is not that foolproof either.

Jan

On Jan 13, 2009, at 5:13 AM, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
Frank, the Leica M8 has not impressed me, I have seen prints and images in Flickr and there is nothing to say: wow!, except for the price, it's more expensive than a new Rolleiflex FT (I have also seen the 2007 LUG book).Some color images in Flickr look very good. I only need manual controls for shutter speeds and f stops and a good lens to take a photograph,seeing the results in the darkroom if I shoot B&W, this is the way I enjoy photography. The 1937 Contax II has been a nice surprise to me, except for the system to load film, you need to crop the film tab to insert it in the spool.

Best regards