[pure-silver] Re: web site

  • From: Michael Briggs <MichaelBriggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:31:14 -0500 (CDT)

On 14-Jun-2006 Claudio Bonavolta wrote:
> It opens fine with Firefox.
>
> I suspect this scrolling problem has to do with the <DIV> tags and absolute
> positioning of these sections.
> For such a simple page, I don't see any reason to use these tags.
> It's a common problem with HTML generators as the code they generate is not
> always very clean.
> One of the worst being the Microsoft word processor Word ...

It's not surprising that some web browsers have problems with this page
(http://www.daniel-williams-photos.com/Palouse/index.html) written by Web
Studio.  The page declares itself to be written in HTML 4.01, but if you pass
it through a html validation program or webpage, numerous syntax errors are
found.   Two free online validators: http://validator.w3.org/ and
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/.    Almost all of the errors are
trivial and most any browser will overcome or ignore them.  But still, you
can't blame a browser if it can't deal with invalid input.

As Claudio says, the html is quite complicated for the simple nature of this
first page.  Continuing to agree, it is no where is near as bad as the output
of Microsoft Word.

I'd write a simple page like this by hand.  I'd then check it with a html
validator (I use weblint) to catch any typos.    I'd end up with a page with no
syntax errors.   I'd expect the same from a html authoring program that I paid
money for.

--Michael