[pure-silver] Re: web site

  • From: Dave Hornford <dave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 21:27:17 -0600

Dave,

If you want to poke around with developing a site from scratch with a
reasonable software tool have a look at Nvu (www.nvu.com) (it is
opensource/free and a available for Windows & Mac) - it is a reasonable
tool. It doesn't use templates dynamically, so if you make a structure
change (I.e. a new submenu for a gallery) you need to make it on every page.

If you think the site will have organizational changes look into a content
management system (the opensource ones I use are Mambo & Typo - Mambo is
much more accessible). The learning curve to get going is higher, but
structural change is much easier.

Most shared hosting services in the US have a simple control panel & use
fantastico, which will install blogging/CMS/etc packages.

The first step is to think through purpose & structure of your site. (It is
worth looking at others to get good ideas). For small volume commerce you
have a couple of choices - there are shopping cart applications, or there
are services that will provide all the shopping cart services for a fee
(collect the visa, etc. etc.) The question is how much time you are willing
to spend + how much revenue you are expecting to make.

Dave