[pure-silver] Re: web site

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:40:00 -0400

Hi,

You did this on your own.  Congratulations!

Cheers,
Bogdan

Adrienne Moumin wrote:
Dave,

A couple of years ago when I wanted to do the same thing, I took a look at a bunch of templates out there, none requiring HTML or any other specialized knowledge, but also none of which fit the look or feel I was after.

I also wasn't willing to pay someone, because then I'd have to do that again each time I wanted to make any changes.

So I bit the bullet last summer for $89 (if memory serves) and took a 10-week cybercourse on HTML thru the local college, w/an amazing instructor, Craig Power. The online educational vendor, ed2go (http://ed2go.com/), is used by many local colleges, so check out their site if you can't find it offerred locally.

HTML is easy as pie, really! However, I soon learned that some of the more complex things I was looking to do weren't HTML-friendly so took another $89 cybercourse in CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). The instructor there wasn't quite as outstanding, in fact was about to be replaced by someone else because she was adamant about presenting ALL the theory before we could do any hands-on (which I found out when I complained about this approach on the interactive "help centers" for the course).

Long story a little less long, the end-up of that was I learned that my interest & aptitude for the more-difficult CSS just isn't there, but I *did* learn enough of it to build a website that I am proud of & can change at any time without pain or extra $ laid out. And I always have the course materials to refer to if I really want to break my brain on some of the more advanced concepts.

For me, paying someone to teach me how to fish is better than having the white-gloved restaurant waiter serve it to me, already cooked and dressed. Go for it, I say!

Good luck,

Adrienne Moumin
***************************************
on the web at:  www.picturexhibit.com

Additional work at Art@Large, NYC:
http://tinyfineart.com/artists3/amou/amou.htm

From: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: web site
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:24:25 -0400

I'm looking for ideas how to build a photographic web site. Should I hire
someone to do it or buy software or what suggestions have you? Thanks.

Dave

-- ________________________________________________________________ Bogdan Karasek Montréal, Québec e-mail: bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx Canada

                  "I photograph my reality"