[pure-silver] Re: web site

  • From: Claudio Bonavolta <claudio@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:56:56 +0200

----- Message d'origine -----
De: "Dave Valvo" <dvalvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:24:25 -0400
Sujet: [pure-silver] Re: web site
À: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I'm looking for ideas how to build a photographic web site.  Should I hire
>someone to do it or buy software or what suggestions have you?  Thanks.
>
>Dave

First, you should define what you want to put in your website: a personal
gallery, technical stuff, etc ...
Then, how important is its graphical design to you. A good design usually
require more experience, good taste and work.
If you're more sensible to the content, then you may spare some time and keep
the interface simpler.
The way you're asking let me think you don't have a lot of experience, so doing
it yourself requires a simpler software.
Hiring somebody may result in a better design but putting up a good website
does usually require time and thus may be costly.
Remember also a website is something live, it is usually updated regularly,
doing it yourself, simplifies this and costs less.

Regarding the tools, they are so many that you'll end up probably with dozens
of different answers.

I do use MS-Frontpage because of the following points:
- it's similar to an Office application like MS-Word, you don't need to go to
the HTML level at the beginning. It helps to know HTML, CSS and other buzzwords
but you can learn them afterwards.
- website structure is easy to visualize and maintain, there are several
reports to display orphan pages, broken links, etc ...
- publishing is straightforward, just press the publish button and all
modifications are sent to the server
- provided you use a hosting company offering the Frontpage extensions (the
majority do), there are several features normally requiring programming that
are included and very easy to use

The major drawback is that it generates mainly a static website. A "static"
website means the pages are generated once and stay on the website as is. This
requires more maintainance and could be a no-go for large corporate websites.
A "dynamic" website means the pages do not exist on the server but are
generated on the fly by a program. Database-driven websites are of this type.
There are also "content managers" that are also used by large structures with
lots of content.
You probably don't need such tools.

Here are a few simple websites I developed with Frontpage:
http://www.bonavolta.ch
http://www.swissparades.ch
http://www.mx-5cup.ch
http://www.mermiere.ch