[pure-silver] Re: Light Leaks with Large Format

  • From: "Clifford Brown" <cliffordbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:44:09 -0000

This is a copy of a post I made to the list in December 2003.
I have used it successfully for sealing small pinholes.
Clifford.
Somerset UK.

Copy.
An old recipe for filling pinholes can be made from lampblack, rubber
cement - the kind found in cycle repair outfits - mixed with petrol ( known
to some people, I am told, as 'gas':-)  The amount of lampblack you will
need for such a repair can be collected from a piece of glass held over a
lighted candle.  The glass makes a useful mixing palette. The repair will
dry flexible and *non* sticky. I promise!

First class new bellows are made to order by Camera Bellows, unit 3-5, St
Paul's Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham, B12 8NG, United Kingdom. Tel No.
0121 440 1695. Fax 0121 440 0972.

Clifford
Somerset UK.

----- Original Message ----- From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On 2005-11-29 09:15, "Breukel, C. (HKG)" <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Ralph,

Another option I have tried is the black neoprene stuff they sell in diver
shops, which they use to repair diver/wet-suits. I had limited succes with
that though..I am realy surprised about your observation that these pinholes
did not interfere with the actual exposure! Maybe I have been to hasty with
replacing my Toyo Field 810M which was realy puuctered with a lot of
pinholes..;-)..

Best,

Cor

On 2005-11-28 22:09, "Ole Tjugen" <oftjugen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ralph,

This stuff works:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fluessig-Latex-Wahlfarben-hoher-Latexanteil
-250-ml_W0QQitem
Z8321186879QQcategoryZ45946QQcmdZViewItem

Disregarding the other possible uses of it, it can be
painted on in a very
thin yet strong layer, and gives sufficient "density" to
reduce light
leaks significantly. Follow dirctions in the pack to get it
non-sticky
after drying, or your bellows will sick together into one
massive lump.

Don't ask me how I got the idea of trying this stuff for
bellows repair -
please :)

Ole Tjugen

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:59:57 +0100, DarkroomMagic
<info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Howard

On second thought, I will attempt a repair, what the heck,
I have no use
for
these bellows if I have to buy a new one anyway.

I did some research on Elastoseal. There are many products
with that
name in
a variety of spellings (Elasto-Seal, Elastoseal etc), but
nothing in
Germany. I'll try some other rubber-like flexible
compound! Any ideas?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

On 2005-11-28 18:29, "Howard Efner" <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ralph, pinholes in the bellows can be a real problem!  The ideal
solution is to replace the bellows, but a repair will
save some cash
and extend the life of the bellows.  One way to take care of
pinholes, and also to repair big holes etc, is to get some black
rubber roofing primer ( Snow Roofing Systems Elastoseal -
Home Depot)
and paint the inside of the bellows to seal the leaks.  Use a foam
brush!  A conventional brush will develop little crumbs of rubber
that will come off and stick to the cloth.  Let the
camera thoroughly
dry with the bellows extended ( several days to a week or so
depending on humidity) so that the bellows do not glue themselves
together.  If still tacky, lightly dust with some talcum
powder and
vacuum out the excess or give a thin coating of the black
rubber finish
coat.

The Elastoseal is a water based neoprene emulsion that drys to a
flexible rubber film.  Also good for waterproofing darkroom
sinks.  They also make a white and black top coats that work in
darkroom sinks.