[pure-silver] Light Leaks with Large Format

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:44:55 +0100

I recently noticed a light leak, always occurring on one side of one 4x5
holder.

Wondering how to investigate this properly, I ended up making a device,
which holds an energy saving light bulb and fits inside the camera through a
Copal 1 lens panel opening. Mounting the camera on a tripod and moving the
whole assembly into the darkroom allowed to check for the source of the
light leak.

The light leak with the holder was obvious, but it turned out not to be a
problem with the holder. For some reason, in the Linhof Technikardan it is a
bit tougher to seat the holder all the way in. This is not a problem with my
Cambo or Toyo. The Linhof needs a little harder push and voila, no more leak
from the holder.

However, now the Linhof bellows are showing light leaks, and we are not
talking about one or two. No, there are more than I care to count, and they
are all over the bellows. They are tiny pin holes, but nevertheless, there
are lots of them.

My problem is, I have never noticed any fog before the wrongly seated
holder. I have also never noticed any difference between the dark and the
leaky cameras, and I¹m shooting ASA 400 film. Are pin holes in camera
bellows acceptable up to a point?

Does anybody else have some experience with pinholes in bellows? What¹s a
good way to fix them, or is replacing the only option?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com