[pure-silver] Re: Light Leaks with Large Format

  • From: "Ole Tjugen" <oftjugen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:09:49 +0100

Ralph,

This stuff works: http://cgi.ebay.de/Fluessig-Latex-Wahlfarben-hoher-Latexanteil-250-ml_W0QQitemZ8321186879QQcategoryZ45946QQcmdZViewItem

Disregarding the other possible uses of it, it can be painted on in a very thin yet strong layer, and gives sufficient "density" to reduce light leaks significantly. Follow dirctions in the pack to get it non-sticky after drying, or your bellows will sick together into one massive lump.

Don't ask me how I got the idea of trying this stuff for bellows repair - please :)

Ole Tjugen

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:59:57 +0100, DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Howard

On second thought, I will attempt a repair, what the heck, I have no use for
these bellows if I have to buy a new one anyway.

I did some research on Elastoseal. There are many products with that name in
a variety of spellings (Elasto-Seal, Elastoseal etc), but nothing in
Germany. I'll try some other rubber-like flexible compound! Any ideas?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

On 2005-11-28 18:29, "Howard Efner" <hfefner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ralph, pinholes in the bellows can be a real problem! The ideal
solution is to replace the bellows, but a repair will save some cash
and extend the life of the bellows. One way to take care of
pinholes, and also to repair big holes etc, is to get some black
rubber roofing primer ( Snow Roofing Systems Elastoseal - Home Depot)
and paint the inside of the bellows to seal the leaks. Use a foam
brush! A conventional brush will develop little crumbs of rubber
that will come off and stick to the cloth. Let the camera thoroughly
dry with the bellows extended ( several days to a week or so
depending on humidity) so that the bellows do not glue themselves
together. If still tacky, lightly dust with some talcum powder and
vacuum out the excess or give a thin coating of the black rubber finish coat.

The Elastoseal is a water based neoprene emulsion that drys to a
flexible rubber film.  Also good for waterproofing darkroom
sinks.  They also make a white and black top coats that work in
darkroom sinks.

-- Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/