[pure-silver] Re: Light Leaks with Large Format

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 17:08:08 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 3:12 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Light Leaks with Large Format

Frank

Your idea might be advisable as a general practice for the Linhof
Technikardan. I believe the tight fold of these bellows in the storage
position might be the root cause for their premature failure. Mine do not
show any flaking, but almost every fold is worn down to the cloth layer.

On the other hand, it never cased a problem, and I never knew until I stuck
a 600 lumen light bulb into the camera. So, I might be going overboard here.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

I don't have and have never had a Linhoff camera but from what I read the leather used on these cameras, both bodies and bellows seems to be short lived. It might be worth having a new bellows made using synthetic materials. There are a couple of good bellows makers, I am sure others here have had to have bellows made and can recommend people. One I don't recommend is Flexible Products based on one experience but others have told a similar story. They were friendly and rapid but the workmanship left a lot to be desired. OTOH, the bellows has been in service for several years and works fine. This was for an Agfa-Ansco 8x10 Universal View. Leather seems to be very sensitive to its storage conditions. For instance, my 5x7 Universal view, which is a little older than the 8x10 still has its original leather bellows and they are just fine. The 8x10 was a war time camera so perhaps the quality of the leather was not so good to begin with.
I have several cameras with synthetic bellows, some nearly 70 years old, and none have leaks or other problems.

---