RE: The top three big problems

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 08:04:42 -0400

If the features one executes also have menu items to perform the same task
and the menu item includes the keystroke (for example, if one goes to
File/New Tab Control in Internet Explorer, a screen reader will read the
text but also say "CTRL+T) and, after a few times of using it, people tend
to remember the keystrokes associated with features they use often but can
still use the menus for things they cannot remember.

Also, using keystroke assignments that are, first and fore mostly fairly
standard (for example, in virtually all Windows programs, CTRL+C is Copy,
CTRL+V is Paste and CTRL+X is cut) and, because VisualStudio is the closest
thing to a standard editor used by us blinks, I would recommend using as
many VS key bindings as possible to make the transition from one to the
other as easy as possible.

Finally, for as long as I can remember (more than 20 years), emacs has had
an "apropos" mode.  In emacs the keystroke to get into it is Meta-X followed
by typing apropos (not my favorite part of the interface) but, once in the
mode, a user can type the beginning of a command they are pretty certain
exists but can't remember its name and emacs will provide a set of
suggestions based upon context and such and the key bound to the feature.
The user can hit ENTER on the command and, if they do it often enough, they
will remember the keystroke.  GG and I had planned on adding this to JAWS
years back but it never made the short list of features and has probably
been forgotten since.

Hope this is helpful,
cdh