Re: The top three big problems

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 07:04:16 -0400 (EDT)

1.  Layout of GUI forms.  Most layout tools are visually and
mouse-oriented, involving drag and drop operations to take a control
from a toolbox, place it on a form, and the size and position it in
relation to other controls.  A blind programmer tends to have a
difficult time when keyboard alternatives are not provided for input, and
feedback about overlap, alignment, etc. are not provided in a way other
than visual appraisal of the screen.

2.  Syntax highlighting and IntelliSense-like features when editing
code.  Code editors often indicate questionable syntax in a different
color or use pop-up windows for contextual suggestions that either steal
away the input focus or are hard to efficiently read via the keyboard
and a screen reader.

3.  Documentation.  Help systems often present relatively small chunks
of content surrounded by navigational or advertizing links that make it
difficult to read in an efficient manner while keeping one's train of
thought.

Thanks for your work on this.
Jamal