Re: The top three big problems

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:08:55 -0400

Andreas Stefik wrote:
"1. Try to copy hotkeys from a common program as best as possible. Most
folks have said they prefer the visual studio hotkeys. Easy enough."
I suppose you need to get default hotkeys from somewhere, but I definitely think you should put making the hotkeys redefinable as highest priority so far as hotkeys are concerned. That way you allow for a comfortable, familiar environment for everyone. The VS keys should be a good place to start though.

"When the user presses a common hot key control (CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT),
the computer begins reading a list of the most common hotkeys for that
particular context sensitive shortcut. I'm speculating, maybe, that,
if you already know the shortcut you don't hear text because you click
the combination quickly, but if you don't know it, you can at least
listen to the list of the most common ones"
A nifty little idea. Any ideas how you will make this coexist with redefinable hotkeys? It's at least a fresh approach to the process of learning keyboard shortcuts, but I think getting those two features to play nice would be...interesting. But as I've said afew times already on this list, I'm just starting out at the programming part of this game and don't really know what might or might not be possible. It just jumped out at me as something that would need to be wrestled with for a bit.

"3. All else being equal, making the hotkeys customizable is desirable."
I know I've hit it a couple times already, but I want to stress how important I feel this is one more time. Hurray for redundancy.

I like where you're taking this, Andy. As a blind technology enthusiast on the path to making it a career, I get all gitty when thoughtful dialogue like this gets hot.

JW