Re: The top three big problems

  • From: "Dale Leavens" <dleavens@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:26:05 -0400

Hello Andreas,

I truly wish I could help. Most of my experience so far has been with Visual
Basic 6 and with MS-Access 2000. I suppose if I was using it professionally it
would be better but for me it is even simple things like creating a form, using
that ToolBox to select controls and things like setting up collections of
controls then discovering how to set their properties.

Once I get myself into the code window it isn't so bad, not necessarily the
sort of editor I would prefer but I seem to be able to figure out how to do
that.

It should be possible to have an IDE which would make it as intuitively easy
for me to set up an Access database for example as for others. Maybe it isn't
all that easy, I don't see a lot of people out there using databases. Then to
manipulate and display that data in various ways using programming tools.

I guess the real trouble I have is in creating those forms. It is a while since
I have done much more but I also remember struggling with some of those
concepts like projects and figuring out how to collect the various bits
together to deploy anything useful.

I tend to work on stuff on my notebook out of work because I don't have time at
work and it isn't what I do at work, these are applications to support the
clerical and information management functions of my clinical work so my needs
are very different to most here on the list who are largely professional
programmers or at least I T professionals.

What i know is that the average person pulls up one of the IDEs of one of the
programming applications and between the menus, toolbars they can often very
quickly begin making their computers manipulate information, what they have to
do is apparently fairly obvious. Somehow it isn't for me.

A surprising number of people around our facility do come to me for help with
applications like Excel and Word to do things often which I never do, point
being I am not unfamiliar with GUI use, just that programming interfaces
certainly don't talk to me like they seem they should.

I doubt I have much to inform your project but I do applaud your effort and
intention and would love to see you succeed.

Thanks.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
DLeavens@xxxxxxx
Skype DaleLeavens