Re: The top three big problems

  • From: "Ian D. Nichols" <inich@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:16:51 -0400

Hi Andy and everyone,

This is proving to be a most interesting discussion. I hope you get lots of information and can develop something really useful.

Your reference to "curb cuts" prompts me to ask you to try to look far enough around to make sure that something doesn't have unexpected and undesirable results. In some cities, levelling the curb for wheelchairs, while also being helpful for baby carriages, tricycles, bundle buggies, etc., also meant that blind folk found themselves in the middle of the road before they realized it because there was nothing to alert them to where the sidewalk ended and the road began. The solution was simple - a small curb was not a significant barrier to things with wwheels, but gave the blind person the information he/she needed.

But carry on!  It looks promising.

all the best.

Ian

Ian D. Nichols,