RE: Looking for suggestions for a database to use with a website

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:47:57 -0400

I would suggest MySQL as many web hosting businesses provide it for free.
It's open source and there is a lot of really good documentation and
examples for how to use it out there.

If you need a site to host this on, I recommend Dreamhost (it's what I use)
http://www.dreamhost.com which has a deal running now that gives you 500 gb
disk and 5 tb/month bandwidth, lots of cool goodies and a nice interface to
work with for only $5.95 per month.  Dreamhost provides a nice PHP based
interface to MySQL which makes it very easy to use.

My expertise lies in system software programming and auditory user interface
hacking.  I am and always have been a database dummy as I never found them
to be very interesting and I always had someone else around to handle such
requirements.  In the past few months, though, I have set up three separate
MySQL databases which all work very nicely and I still don't know a whole
lot more than I ever have about databases because the Dreamhost interface
stuff makes it so easy.  I'm told that a number of other web hosting
businesses provide similar features but I haven't tried any so cannot speak
to their qualities.

  _____