Re: Looking for suggestions for a database to use with a website

  • From: "Bryan Schulz" <b.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 20:15:05 -0500

chris,

does dreamhost include cgi/perl/php?
Bryan

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Chris Hofstader
  To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 1:47 PM
  Subject: RE: Looking for suggestions for a database to use with a website

  I would suggest MySQL as many web hosting businesses provide it for free.
It's open source and there is a lot of really good documentation and examples
for how to use it out there.

  If you need a site to host this on, I recommend Dreamhost (it's what I use)
http://www.dreamhost.com which has a deal running now that gives you 500 gb
disk and 5 tb/month bandwidth, lots of cool goodies and a nice interface to
work with for only $5.95 per month.  Dreamhost provides a nice PHP based
interface to MySQL which makes it very easy to use.

  My expertise lies in system software programming and auditory user interface
hacking.  I am and always have been a database dummy as I never found them to
be very interesting and I always had someone else around to handle such
requirements.  In the past few months, though, I have set up three separate
MySQL databases which all work very nicely and I still don't know a whole lot
more than I ever have about databases because the Dreamhost interface stuff
makes it so easy.  I'm told that a number of other web hosting businesses
provide similar features but I haven't tried any so cannot speak to their
qualities.