Re: Looking for suggestions for a database to use with a website

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:56:31 +0300

It is very simple to lock or unlock a file using flock, and even MySQL manual
recommend not storing binary files (like images) in a MySQL table, but
recommends storing just the path to the file and stor the files on the hard
disk.

I know that most of the programmers just want to use the most easy method, and
of course that using a database for storing everything is more simple, because
instead of storing a path to a file, then upload a file and move it to the
target directory, making sure that directory has the necessary permission, the
program would just need to store the entire content of the file in a table
field, and nothing more.

In most of the cases this is the only solution because many programmers need to
use a shared web host which in my opinion is not nice at all, because most of
the privileges are disabled, but the access to the database is allowed, and in
all those cases the access speed and the performance of the web site is not
important at all, because those sites usually don't have very many visitors in
the same time.

Octavian