Re: [PCWorks] Computer is too slow

  • From: LarryB <larryb227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:15:17 -0500

Well I was able to finally get this computer working as one would
expect. The bootup now takes 35 seconds compared to 5+ minutes before.
The reformat and reinstalling of XP went fairly well and would have been
easier if I received any documentation from Dell, but I didn't. I just
get a fist full of disks. They were free so I really can't complain.
As a side note, I did get a written procedure from BlackViper which was
a great asset.
Thanks to all.

LarryB
K & L Electronics
South Carolina

Peter Kaulback wrote:
Larry, the restore disk will cover everything for you, and in most cases
even a completely formatted drive can be restored. Most brand name
computers have a restore partition hidden on the drive or it is only
accessible using a restore tool.

So, backup all the data, and then boot from the restore disk. Dell will
likely provide some documentation with the disks as well.

Peter Kaulback

LarryB wrote:

I do not see a Ctrl F11 when I boot up Peter. I only see F12 and F8 I
think to go into Safe Mode.
I have contacted Dell and they are sending me the disks I require. (free)
I should have them in a couple of days.
What is the best way to format the HD?

LarryB
K & L Electronics
South Carolina

Peter Kaulback wrote:
Larry when you boot the laptop there should be a system restore message
that should say something like "press CTRL + F11" but you should not do
this until after all the data on the drive is backed up otherwise the
restore will wipe it all away. I did it once on a work laptop, you don't
want to do it.

And if there is a "Drivers" folder then do back that up as well.

If there is no "press CTRL + F11", then you will have to contact Dell
and try to get the restore disk set, it's 2 or 3 discs. If that doesn't
work then your neighbour gets to buy XP.

I might have suggested Linux as an option but since your neighbour uses
Quickbooks, that rules out Linux, it just drives me nutty when I try
that out. Just a thought.

Peter Kaulback

Nope no mapped drive. Wish I did though.
Thanks
LarryB
K & L Electronics
South Carolina

Ben Moore wrote:

You don't have a mapped network drive do you? Just a thought.

I agree with Peter. Copy all the data somewhere and reformat. You can fool
with it forever and never figure it out. The laptop would probably profit
with a new install anyway.

Ben Moore