Re: [PCWorks] Computer is too slow

  • From: LarryB <larryb227@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:02:54 -0500

Yes that is what I meant.
On Services, I found software that gives you an explanation of that each
does and what will happen if you turn it off or on. They also recommend
which to change.
You can find it here: http://www.answersthatwork.com/
Also found software that give you a comprehensive report of you computer
that you can print out. Kinda like the Device Manager Report but with
more info.
It is found here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
I have also found a site that  walks you thru the HD reformat and
reinstall of XP and that was found here:
http://lifehacker.com/software/windows/geek-to-live-how-to-format-your-hard-drive-and-install-windows-xp-from-scratch-157578.php

As you can see I've been busy. Now I'll check out the BlackViper

Thanks for all the help
LarryB

Clint Hamilton- wrote:
By "It did not show anything" I take it you mean no errors, right?
Because it should have shown something, as it what it was doing.

I posted something about this recently,
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm is back up now and it
tells you all about XP Services.

That's good about Dell, and rare.
-Clint

----- Original Message ----- From: "LarryB"

I used the "run" chkdsk with is kinda Dos I guess. It did not show
anything. I would not know which services to disable so I won't do
anything there. There is serveral service running though. I did get Dell
to send the the software I need and free so that should be here tomorrow
and the next day. I'll check on the Service control manager.
  thanks LarryB

Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin-OrpheusComputing. com &
ComputersCustomBuilt. com wrote: Ok I see you've run chkdsk and defrag.
Did you try the chkdsk /p version from pseudo-DOS or just right click
the drive in Windows and go to Properties Tools then "Error checking"?
The former does it a bit better.

402mb PF usage is high. There's probably even more XP Services running
on this than a regular setup thanks to Dell. Check into that, and
disable all the ones you don't need. You can usually disable about 20-30
of them. Also, if you haven't, see what's loading under the Start Up tab
in Msconfig. See if there are any yellow marks in the Device Manager.

Here's some info on "service control manager":
http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php? t=34443
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms685150(VS.85).aspx
(That one keeps crashing my PC, so I don't know what's there).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_Control_Manager

Put this into a search engine to see others: "service control manager"
error Event Viewer

DHCP isn't just for wireless setups.
-Clint

----- Original Message ----- From: "LarryB"

Thanks Hugh, I have run all the spyware, antivir*s programs I have and
they have found things but hasn't helped so far. As I mentioned I have
the startup programs to a bare minimum. I have also run defrag, and
chkdsk. The Event Viewer shows one error during startup called "service
control manager" then about 10 "information" tags after the error. It
also shows several DHCP type "warnings" that are probably due to the
wireless setup. I have no idea what to do with any of these.

LarryB

Hugh Vandervoort wrote:

There's a MS article here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/northrup_restoreperf.mspx
In general, this means too many programs loading at startup,
virus/spyware problems, need to defrag or run chkdsk. You might take a
look in Event Viewer for disk errors or the like, but this is usually
just a housekeeping task. A program like Windows Defender or Spybot will
likely be a big help. Low RAM doesn't really affect startup. but this
machine would benefit enormously from an upgrade.

LarryB wrote:

I have a Dell which is a neighbor computer that is very slow on startup.
It is a Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, 1.6g processor, 798mhz and
256 ram. The HD is 33g with 23g free. Running Windows XP with SP2 Now it
takes 5 plus minutes to load the icons on the desktop and another
1 minute for the tray. Then it is ready to go. I have the tray down to
AVG anti and fire wall, and Wireless, Audio, and power. I pull up
Ctrl+Alt+delete and the performance is CPU 0 to 1% while the PF usage is
402 MB. This is with no applications running.

I am presently doing a complete vir*s scan as my first step in trying to
speed this computer up. Any help would be appreciated. One question is
could it be that 256m of ram is too small? They use OE and IE as their
main applications along with QuickBooks 2003. Thanks