-=PCTechTalk=- Re: puzzling problem

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 01:51:44 -0400

Actually, I meant it the other way.

Power cables and ports have been designed for years to only connect the
correct way.  It's the data cables that usually cause problems.  IDE data
cable connectors are supposed to have a single raised 'key' in the middle of
one of their lengths (along one of the long sides).  The drives that use
these cables are supposed to have a single void at this same location so the
two fit together only that one way (pin 1 of the drive connects to slot 1 in
the cable connector).  Unfortunately, I still see systems outfitted with
cheap cables that lack a key.  This means they can fit into the IDE port
either way.  Plug it in the wrong way and that drive isn't going to do what
you were hoping it would do.  In the case of a floppy drive, if the light
refuses to go out, the cable is most likely connected backwards at the back
of the drive itself.  If the light never comes on, it's most likely
installed backwards where it plugs into the mainboard.  Floppy cables have
the distinction of having a few of their wires intentionally twisted as
you'll see if you take a look at the cable they use.  The twisted end MUST
be connected to the drive and not the mainboard because the twist is used to
help the mainboard know whether it's talking with drive A or, if present,
Drive B.  If the cable itself is turned around (the end with the twist
plugged into the mainboard), nothing will be able to work on that line.

While most of this is just for the sake of sharing the info with everyone,
I'm hoping something I said helps get to the bottom of this problem.

http://tinyurl.com/ypbuue

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"