-=PCTechTalk=- Re: puzzling problem

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 01:35:06 -0400

Jo Ann,
    I'm heading there myself, but I've got to say that it sure sounds like
you're learning a ton.  I'm most impressed with your decision to remove the
sound card instead of the modem when it wouldn't boot.  It looks like you're
getting to the bottom of the issue here, but it'll probably take moving to
the hammer before it's done.

    If both optical drives have a CS (Cable Select) option, set their
jumpers accordingly and see if that helps.  CS has always been a flaky
affair, but it just might help with this.  If it does what it's supposed to
do, the drive on the end of the cable will automatically be set as the
Master by the chipset, while the drive in the middle becomes the Slave.  If
it doesn't work, revert back to their regular jumper settings and try
another cable.  If you don't have any more spares, you can always borrow it
from one of your own systems for a minute or two.  If it then works, tell
the folks they need to spring for all new data cables.  It won't cost much
at all and it's best to just replace all 3 before another one fails.

    The musical daughterboard game you're playing (sound, modem, video,
etc.) makes me wonder if the capacity of the PS is high enough for the
things that are stuffed into the case.  Those cards get their power from the
slots and the slots get their power from the board.  The board must get
enough power from the PS for all of the slots plus the memory, CPU, chipset,
fans, etc.  Again, look everywhere on that mainboard for a small, square 4
socket port where a 4 pin connector from the PS should go.  It may not have
one, but if it does and it's not plugged in, the board is not getting enough
juice and the messed up add-on card fiasco you're dealing with would be the
likely result.

    I sure hope you're able to work out the demons soon.       :O)

http://tinyurl.com/ypbuue

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"