-=PCTechTalk=- Re: puzzling problem

  • From: "don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:30:53 -0400

Try reinstalling each device by itself.  Especially those devices that
caused the no boot situation when combined with one or more other items.
Remember to set any drives to "Master" for this test.

With the problem coming and going with various combinations with apparently
no consistency except it always exists when the second optical drive exists
as a slave it sounds like a problem with something that is shared by
everything and gets overloaded such as the power supply or the system bus.

You could also be dealing with two defective units.

I once had an avionics computer that consisted of three main parts.... the
main chassis, the synchro pack and the power supply.  When assembled with
the original three parts the problem existed.  A second computer worked
perfectly.
When the 3 parts were swapped around in various combinations between the two
computers, everything worked perfect on both units.  When the original three
parts were put back together, the problem returned.

Never did find the source of the problem so just swapped pieces around and
sent them both back into service.

Don

P. S. Yes, I said synchro pack.  It was an analog computer.