-=PCTechTalk=- Re: puzzling problem

  • From: "Jo Ann Weaver" <bookworm54@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 22:18:01 -0400

GMan,

I thought I'd let you know, I finally got this darned thing straightened out
and running. I kept thinking you guys
were right, that it sounded like a power supply problem, but my son insisted
the one he gave me was good.
Ordered a new larger power supply online and that solved all the problems
except one, it wouldn't see the CD drives.
I changed cables, jumpers, drives and nothing worked. Finally put one on the
cable with the hard drive and, oh joy,
it worked. With all the changing around, I had bent a couple of the pins
slightly on the second IDE  connector on
the board. Was able to straighten them and all was well. For some reason the
single stick of RAM it has won't work in the number 1 slot
but it's working in the number two. I'm about ready to send this thing home
again, thank God. Just one little thing I'm wondering about.
When it starts to boot and counts the memory, it takes longer than it
should, you can set and watch the numbers roll over, and this
is only 512 MB. Wonder why?

Jo Ann