-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Linux

  • From: "Andy" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 10:41:57 +0100

Rick,

THE best way of trying Linux is to download a copy of Knoppix (Or if you
haven't got a fast connection, get someone to download it for you, as it's a
BIIIIG download)...Then burn it to a CD-r and re-boot, making sure the
'first boot' is from the drive you have just put the Knoppix CD in ..then
watch in wonder as this 'o/s on a disc' loads you with a very nifty version
of Linux.

As nothing installs on your hard drive, you get to use it without any of the
headaches. It has TONS of stuff of it too,  including a full office suite,
web browsers, mail clients, everything you could really need!!

The other really good thing that Knoppix can be used for is if you've got a
problem with your Windows installation and you need to rescue something
prior to wiping your hard drive clean..

Cheers

Andy